In 2007 that Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and Ray Price recorded their Last of the Breed album, of western swing, country classics and some of the best country music ever written — most of it by them. The artists took their show on the road and toured in support of the album in March of that year.
There were no 14-year-olds on that tour, but those guys toured like they were teenagers promoting their first album, blazing a trail across the country performing 15-shows in 17 days. I got to see their show a couple times here in Colorado, and I was blown away. These talented musicans were at the top of their game and were having so much fun performing together. And the music! They were joined by friend and fellow musical genius Freddy Powers, and sang their award-winning hits to sold-out halls everwhere. We all left those shows knowing we’d just experienced something very special.
The Last of the Breed album was released before the tour, a double-album, and a DVD quickly followed. Now, on March 3, 2009, Image Entertainment will release a live cd, recorded from their concerts. This is good news, because it is going to get wider distribution, and will also be available, for the first time, through i-tunes for download.
They are the Last of the Breed — the elder statesmen of classic country music who have inspired artists for decades. No one else sings country music with the passion and purity of Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, and Ray Price. In March 2007, these living legends and Country Music Hall of Famers united on stage for a once-in-a-lifetime concert event that was captured for television and recorded to give fans the ultimate concert experience. Backed by the GRAMMY Award-winning Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel and Ray Price’s Cherokee Cowboys, LIVE FROM THE LAST OF THE BREED TOUR presents Willie’s, Merle’s and Ray’s greatest hits that they performed on this magical evening.
- Miles and Miles of Texas (w/Asleep at the Wheel
- Make the World Go Away (Ray Price)
- For the Good Times (Ray Price)
- Take Me Back to Tulsa (Merle Haggard)
- Silver Wings (Merle Haggard)
- That’s the Way Love Goes (Merle Haggard)
- Okie From Miskogee (Merle Haggard)
- Pancho and Lefty (Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard)
- Always on My Mind (Willie Nelson)
- Mama Tried (Merle Haggard)
- Ramblin’ Fever (Merle Haggard)
- I Gotta Have My Baby Back (Willie Nelson, Ray Price, Merle Haggard)
- Night Life (Ray Price)
- Sing Me Back Home (Merle Haggard)
- Crazy (Willie Nelson, Ray Price
- On the Road Again (Willie Nelson)